One of my friends has an enormous lady boner for fruit toast, which I fondly call sugar toast. Every morning without fail she goes and purchases it from the dodgy cafe downstairs. Each to their own I say, but if she insists on fruity bread for breakfast, I think she can do better.I made this for her as a leaving present last week as she went off to Europe to get married. It’s named not only in honour of that, but also because it is the perfect marriage of apple and raisin – haha!
This recipe is an adaption of my Breakfast Cake which is based on almond flour and flaxmeal – two nutrient dense alternatives to white flour that is perfect for this sort of baking. The slow release energy and omega 3s from this loaf will make your body happy and healthy.
Toasting this is just as pleasant as eating it, as it will fill your kitchen with gorgeous cinnamon aromas. A beautiful way to start off your day, or your adventure into perfect marital bliss.
- 2¼ cups blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup golden flaxmeal (has milder flavour and colour than brown linseeds)
- Pinch Himalayan salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 organic free range eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted (or ghee)
- 1 heaped tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 appled, diced
- ⅓ cup raisins or currants
- Handful of coconut flakes (optional)
- Place the first 5 into a large bowl and mix well.
- Mix the remaining ingredient except for the apple, raisins and coconut in a separate bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the first bowl and gently mix until just combined. Over mixing will result in a dry loaf.
- Mix through the apple and raisins.
- Put mixture into a lined loaf pan and smooth to flatten – ideally 6.5×4” (16.2×10) – the mixture won’t rise much at all and once cooked it will basically look the same as when you put it in so if you want a high loaf, the pan will have to be narrow and short.
- Sprinkle over the coconut.
- Bake at 150° (350F) for 20-25 minutes – do not overcook as it will be very dry.
- Cool in the pan before removing.