This is a versatile sweet treat I love making and giving to friends in little jars. Coconut oil and tahini are packed with healthy fats and are great for skin and hair. Raw honey is a fantastic immunity booster. Chia seeds are full of protein and fibre and they provide a crunch reminiscent of chunky peanut butter. This is my go-to breakfast, spread on toast – or on crackers or plain biscuits for a snack – but I have also included a couple of other ways you can take the recipe further. The spread can be stored in room temperature and is vegan and gluten free!
tahini “friendship” spread
3 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 cup raw honey
2/3 cup unhulled tahini (1 cup if you prefer it less sweet)
6 tbsp chia seeds
1. Mix all the ingredients. Done
3 tbsp instant wholemeal couscous
4 tbsp hot water
1 small apple, diced
8 raw almonds
1 tbsp friendship spread
1 pinch of ground cinnamon
1. In a bowl, add the hot water to the couscous. Let it absorb while you prepare the other ingredients.
2. Add rest of the ingredients and mix.
Note: You can replace the couscous with cooked/soaked (overnight) oats.
lisa ray’s crunchy oat, macadamia & seed bars
1. Toast oats, macadamia (or your choice of nut) and seeds.
2. Mix in a bowl. (Optional: add shredded coconut or cinnamon)
3. Add friendship spread to bind. Add honey or soaked chia seeds if the mixture is too crumbly.
4. Pack into a small, greased baking tin and toast in the oven.
5. Remove from oven. Slice when cooled partially (while it is still slightly soft).
Photo by Lisa Ray (Instagram: @lisaray)
Tiff Chin is a photo retoucher by trade but enjoys growing her own window sill gardens, swimming, clean eating and generally is awesome. You can follow her Instagram @tiff_chin.