Oh Bircher! This fantastic breakfast staple was created by Swiss physician and a pioneer nutritionist Maximilian Oskar Bircher-Benner. The original recipe was 200 grams apple, 1 tablespoon rolled oats, soaked in 2–3 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon cream which is quite a bit different to what you see today – mainly oats with fruit juice. My version is different still, incorporating seeds and almond milk instead of fruit juice as I find the apples sweet enough. Although I believe oats are amazing for you, I wanted to add in the extra goodness of seeds. Not only is this version amazingly scrumptious, it will keep you full all morning while providing key nutrients such as zinc, vitamin E, copper, manganese and protein.
Most exciting of all, is you do all the hard work before you go to bed and wake up to deliciousness!
- 2 red apples, grated
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup organic greek yoghurt or vegan alternative
- ½ cup gluten free rolled oats
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- To Serve: Couple spoonfuls extra yoghurt
- Punnet fresh raspberries
- Handful flaked almonds, toasted
- Place all the Bircher ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight.
- Divide the oats between glasses and top with the extra yoghurt, raspberries and almonds.