Let me see your what?! That’s right, I went there! Gangsters like grilling fruit more than anyone else, which is why they sing about them all the time. Grilling fruit is a new favourite of mine which if you have never tried before you should prioritise ASAP. There is something so wonderful about taking things classically eaten in delicate ways such as raw, baked or stewed, then putting them on a smoking hot grill plate and roughing them up a bit.
Grilling fruit is an easy way to add a bit of somethin’ somethin’ to your day with very little effort and makes it feel like you’re not just eating fruit for dessert. Grilling brings the natural sweetness out of the fruit and transforms it into something of its own and the possibilities of what you serve it will is endless – nuts, shaved coconut, honey, vanilla, cacao nibs, cashew cream, basil, lime, co-yo, yoghurt etc etc – build your own mini dessert bar and go cray. It’s a good way to be.
A lot of recipes out there add extra sugar and all sorts of what not which makes it far from healthy, so I am here to show you there is a better way!
- 2-3 pieces of fruit, quartered, I used peaches but you can use apricots, nectarines, pineapple, figs, apples, banana, pears – anything!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Couple spoonfuls of organic yoghurt or vegan alternative
- 1-2 tablespoons toasted almonds
- Cracked vanilla bean
- 1-2 teaspoons honey in liquid form
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Handful of fresh raspberries
- Get your grill nice and hot, melt the coconut oil and swirl around until the grill is well covered.
- Place your fruit on the grill flesh side down for 2-3 minutes or until you get those beautiful charred lines.
- Flip fruit over and grill the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
- Place in bowl, sprinkle over all the toppings and enjoy!