Life is short and I am lazy – two compelling reasons why I am in love with this quinoa porridge. I have so much to fit in these days but I hate defaulting to toast as I prefer something more nutrient dense! So on the days when I am bored with or it is too cold for my favourite #Singlelyf Raw Superfood Muesli, I rustle up this super pretty and super quick Vegan Quinoa Porridge. It makes a Sunday morning in bed extra dreamy.
The star of this dish is quinoa flakes. Unlike normal quinoa, its flaked form cooks in next to no time with all the same nutritional benefits. The process they use to make quinoa flakes is similar to that of rolled oats where steam and pressure causes them to be flat and partially cooked, which is why both cook so fast.
Nutritionally quinoa flakes are far superior to oats, the main benefit being protein – per each cooked cup of quinoa there is 8.1 grams of protein, compared to 5.6 grams in an equivalent portion of cooked oatmeal. Quinoa also surpasses oatmeal in protein quality – as quinoa is a complete protein it contains all the essential amino acids to maintain healthy tissue, support immune function and transport oxygen to your tissues. Oatmeal’s protein provides only some of these essential amino acids. Saying that, oatmeal is still pretty rad for you, and if you find quinoa flakes too expensive you can pad out the quinoa flakes using half quinoa flakes, half oatmeal and still have happy insides :D.
- ½ cup quinoa flakes
- 1 cup liquid of your choice e.g almond milk, macadamia milk, water
- ½ tablespoon sweeter of your choice e.g maple syrup or raw honey
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla paste (optional)
- To serve – all optional and can really be whatever you want:
- 2-4 strawberries, sliced
- ½ peach, sliced
- Sprinkle of coconut flakes
- Sprinkle of sunflower seeds
- Sprinkle of chia seeds
- Sprinkle of petitas
- Small handful of pistachios, roughly chopped
- Combine first five ingredients into a sauce pan and stir to cover.
- Cook for 3 minutes – it will be done when everything has thickened.
- Serve with toppings sprinkled over as prettily as you can master ^__^
- Best savoured in bed with a good book – but understand if it is more of a scoffed over the kitchen bench situation!