Ah salted caramel. I know it’s been done, but I kind of feel like this can’t be a food blog without it. It’s sort of become a staple don’t you agree? Many bloggers have a lot of variations, however I feel this version is the most versatile – use it on toast as a better alternative to jam, as a filling for a tart, in biscuit sandwich, or as pictured on top of apple as a kid friendly “cookie”. If you are looking for a harder caramel, use less water and coconut oil. In this recipe, the sweetness of medjool dates are evened out with almond butter which is a skin loving combination.
My new favourite salt, vanilla salt, makes this recipe extra special. It’s pretty dreamy. If you can’t find vanilla salt, add 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla paste. I’m pretty obsessed with all the different salts that I have just noticed on the market, so expect some weird things showing up in Da Farq is That in the future.
Raw Salted Caramel
Makes 1 jar (300ml or so)
10 minutes “cooking” time
Keeps for up to 2 weeks in the fridge
Can be frozen.
8 Medjool dates, soaked over night, pitted and roughly chopped
1⁄2 cup almond butter
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla salt (or 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla paste)
1/4 cup water 1⁄2 cup coconut oil, in liquid form
- Place everything except for the coconut oil into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the coconut oil and gentle pulse for about 5 seconds. If any coconut is not yet incorporated, gently fold it in. It is best to use a soft hand and take precaution because over mixing can lead to a mixture that splits. Once it has split it goes rather hard and it’s near impossible to save it at that point.
Raw Salted Caramel Kid Friendly Cookies
Makes about 6 cookies
Takes about 5 minutes to make
To be consumed immediately
1 apple, sliced into 6mm rings, then cored 1 lemon, halved
1 jar Raw Salted Caramel
A handful of cacao nibs
A handful of shaved coconut Directions:
- Rub the lemon over both sides of the apple rings to slow the browning process.
- Spread the Raw Salted Caramel over one side of each of the apple rings.
- Sprinkle over cacao nibs and saved coconut.