It’s not a secret that woman have a long standing love affair with chocolate and flowers. So when I was trying to think of Mother’s Day creations and I saw this on Matcha Maiden’s Instagram I knew I wanted to make something similar to celebrate all of them mothers – because who runs the world?! GIRLS! Without mums – where would any of us be?!
Being from NZ and living in Melbourne, I haven’t seen my mum on Mother’s Day for about four years now. Although I am far away, I always think of the beautiful woman she is and how lucky I am to have come from such a phenomenal lady. So what better way to show this than a. send her something pretty in the mail and b. make healthy chocolates in her name to enable those who are close to their mums to treat them right.
Without going into going detail, my mum has had a bit of a rough time of late so I wanted to get her something that was 100% girly and would allow her to have some much deserved ‘me’ time. Something completely hers that she didn’t have to share, and nothing boring and practical like a wooden spoon or tea towels. The lemon scented triple wick candle from Mozi as pictured below was the perfect solution – now if only I could send her the chocolate bark!
There is two great things about this recipe:
- It is super healthy with raw cacao butter and raw cacao. Nothing fake or refined in here, just pure superfoods that will make mum’s insides happy – what mum wouldn’t love that?
- It is freaking easy to make. Let your five your old sister do it for you if you are feeling lazy – it will turn out the same either way. You managed the whole process so of course you still get the credit. I joke, I joke – just using a hyperbole to explain how easy it is :P
- 1 cup cacao butter, gently melted
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- Pinch Tahitian Vanilla Sea Salt
- Edible flowers – I got mine from the David Jones Food Hall.
- Thoroughly mix the cacao butter, cacao powder, maple syrup and vanilla essence.
- Mix through the shredded coconut.
- Pour onto a lined baking tray – I didn’t have one of these so I used two large lunch boxes. You can have the finished chocolate as thin or as thick as you like – up to you.
- Sprinkle over the toppings.
- Set in the freezer for an hour or so.
- Take chocolate out of the container – either break with your hands or with a nice.
- Sprinkle over the flowers.
- Store sans flowers in an air tight container in the fridge for up to two weeks or six in the freezer.
- Serve in bed with a nice cup of tea – happy birthday to all the lovely mothers out there xx.